Splint fabrication is the process of applying a splint to an injured area on the body. Common types of custom splints include finger splints, hand splints, hand braces, wrist splints and more. The splint can provide minimal, moderate, or maximum resistance depending on the type of injury. Some splints are constructed using Plaster of Paris, plaster, fiberglass, padding, and ace wraps. Other splints are made out of metal, cloth, plastic, or leather as well.
There are several types of splint fabrication used for splinting. These consist of a custom fabricated, prefabricated, and custom fitted splint.
- A custom fabricated splint is a splint that is individualized for each patient. Castings, measurements, tracings, and images of the injured area are used to create a specialized splint. The therapist constructs the splint by molding, drilling, sewing, or bending the splint material before fitting and applying it to the patient.
- A prefabricated splint is one that is made by a manufacturer. The splint is not individualized for the patient. Minimal adjustments can be made to fit the splint and it does not require special services from occupational therapy for fitting the splint.
- A custom fitted splint is a type of prefabricated splint that requires adjustments made by the occupational therapist. The therapist bends, cuts, or molds the splint and may or may not have to use heat to manipulate the splint.
Our occupational therapists are trained in splint fabrication and will work with each patient and refer physician to find the splint that is the right fit for the individual’s needs.
New Patient Info
Welcome to the Phoenix family! You’re one step closer to feeling like you again. You can expect superior care at each step of your rehabilitation journey, starting with scheduling your first appointment. After scheduling your first appointment, we encourage you to download and fill out your patient forms and insurance information.
• Medicare (Novitas)
• Highmark BCBS (Traditional)
• Premier Blue Shield Network, Medicare Advantage, Keystone Health Plan West Network
o KeystoneBlue HMO
o SelectBlue HMO, POS
o SecurityBlue MC, HMO
o CommunityBlue HMO, POS
o FreedomBlue MC, PPO
• Highmark Blue Shield
• Premier Blue Shield Network, Medicare Advantage, Participating Network
• Blue Cross of NEPA
o First Priority Health HMO, POS
o First Priority Life EPO
o BlueCare Senior
• Independence Blue Cross
o Personal Choice PPO
• Horizon BC/BS NJ (PPO)
• Capital BC/Capital Advantage Ins. Co (Traditional, Comprehensive, Options, PPO, SeniorBlue)
• Keystone Health Plan Central (KHPC) HMO
• AmeriHealth Administrators (PPO)
• Tricare Standard (INDEMNITY)
• Health America
o West (HMO)
o Central (HMO)
o Heath Assurance (PPO, POS), Advantra (MC HMO)
• Great-West Healthcare (PPO/POS)
o NON Par – Latrobe, Mt. Lebanon, New Castle
• ASHf ormerly OrthoNet
• Geisinger Health Plan
o AETNA Better Health formerly Coventry Cares
o Amerihealth Caritas/N. East
o Coventry Cares
o Geisinger Family
o UHC Community Plan (Families, Kids & Dual Complete)
o UPMC For You
• AETNA (PPO, POS, HMO)
• United Healthcare
Meet The Team
Nancy Wood, PT, DPT, MS
Director of Clinic Operations
Brian Haas, PT
Maria Ungard, OT
Sidney Waldman, PCC 1
Patient Care Coordinator 1
Eileen Weikel, PTA
Physical Therapist Assistant
A large part of what sets Phoenix apart is our team. We are proud to employ highly trained professionals who are not only skilled at what they do, but are passionate about providing you with individualized care. Our Phoenix team members are what makes achieving quality clinical outcomes possible through expertise and a personal approach.
Welcome to Williamsport
At Phoenix, we understand the patient’s frustration with rehabilitation. That’s why we’re proud to provide comprehensive, purposeful and cost-effective services. We don’t just want you to imagine getting back to your old self; we want you to feel like you again. To do so, we provide you with a passionate and dedicated staff ready to guide you each step of the way...