Employees who experience lost-time, limited duty, or symptoms in response to job tasks may benefit from work hardening physical therapy services. Rendered in various phases of the injury healing process, physical therapy helps the injured employee return to safe and productive work.
The purpose of Work Conditioning and Work Hardening, as well as a combination of the two, is to help progress an injured employee’s tolerance of job or occupation-specific physical stresses. Treatment should emphasize restoration of work-related function and reconditioning.
Work Conditioning Program
An intensive work-related, goal-oriented conditioning program designed to enable the employee to return to work. The program may include:
- Multi-hour sessions up to 4 hours/day; 5 days/week; for 8 weeks
- Systemic neuromuscular functions (joint integrity and mobility)
- Muscle performance (strength, power, endurance)
- Motor function (motor control and motor learning)
- Range of motion (including muscle length)
- Cardiovascular/pulmonary functions (aerobic capacity/endurance, circulation, and ventilation, and respiration/gas exchange
Work Hardening Program
A highly structured, goal-oriented, individualized intervention program to restore physical, behavioral, and vocational functions to return the injured employee back to work. Program includes:
- Multi-hour sessions up to 8 hours/day; 5 days/week; for 8 weeks
- Multi-disciplinary approach
- Uses real or simulated work activities
I lived in horrible pain from a frozen shoulder for a few months before being referred to physical therapy in hopes of avoiding surgery. I can’t thank a Mark and Danny enough for their patience, kindness, compassion, encouragement and expertise. Without them, I would NEVER have been successful persevering through over six months of therapy (especially in the early days when I cried in about one of every two or three sessions). The fact that they cared so much about me as a patient and as a person made me want to work harder and never give up.
Because of therapy, with Mark and Danny, I have my life back. I don’t live in pain. I can do daily activities, exercise, and play sports. I can’t thank them enough for the difference they have made in my life.
I have heard it said that a great physical therapist is hard to find, difficult to part with, and impossible to forget. Fortunately, for me, they weren’t hard to find, but they sure are difficult to part with, and I’ll never forget them! I am forever grateful for physical therapy with Mark and Danny at Phoenix!”